Basically, the following rule of thumb applies with regards to the obligations under the German Packaging Act (VerpackG):
Every company is subject to licensing all their sales packaging (product packaging, shipping packaging, service packaging) that ends up as waste at the German private end consumer with a dual system if it:
- fills this packaging
- commissions the filling of the packaging (fulfilment) or
- imports packaged goods
Important to know: There are no exceptions! The VerpackG obligations apply from the first packaging and regardless of the size of the company.
+++ Your To Do's +++
How to license your packaging:
You can license your packaging in three simple steps online via Lizenzero, the online shop by the official dual system provider Interseroh+. To do this,
- enter your packaging volumes you planned for the year into our calculator – here we show you transparently how much your licence fee will be (no worries, if the volumes change during the year, you can simply adjust them in your Lizenzero account!),
- create a customer account and
- follow the ordering process – just like you are used to in any other online shop!
If you do not know your packaging volumes, our calculation assistant will help you in determining them. Of course you can also contact us at any time.
What else needs to be considered?
In addition to licensing with a dual system, the German Packaging Act obliges you to fulfil two further requirements. Both have to be carried out via the LUCID register, which is provided by the control authority Zentrale Stelle Verpackungsregister (ZSVR):
- Registration: click here
Do not be confused by the designation producers. This is merely the name given by the Central Agency. This also includes merchants. You get your EPR / LUCID number here.
- Data reporting: After licensing, you need to enter the name of your dual system and the licensed quantities in your LUCID account.
Which evidence do you need to pass on to your marketplace?
- Proof 1: After registration in the LUCID packaging register, you will receive your individual LUCID registration number (also called "EPR number"). This is your proof that you fulfil the registration obligation.
- Proof 2: As soon as you have entered your LUCID registration number in your Lizenzero customer account, you can download your Lizenzero participation certificate in PDF format under "documents". This is your proof that you fulfil the licensing obligation.